To: Students, Parents, Staff, and School – Community Members; Media Fr: Kevin Smith, Superintendent Re: July 2021 School Board Meeting Information
The Covington Community School Corporation School Board met in special session on Tuesday, July 27, 2021. Building principals Michelle Beck and Alison Karrfalt reviewed the results of the spring ILEARN assessment. Both leaders highlighted a number of positives, with student results exceeding state average in nearly every category. School superintendent Kevin Smith stated, “To summarize the information Ms. Beck and Ms. Karrfalt have presented this evening, the work of our students, parents, and staff members continues to be outstanding. Despite the never before experienced obstacles everyone has done an excellent job, as evidenced by these results. Certainly, there is work to be done, but the foundation to build from is a firm one.”
During the business portion of the agenda the board:
• Approved the following hires: o Hannah Vincent, Assistant SPL (CES) o Katie Hardy, Assistant to the Principal (CHS/CMS) o Dana Sanders, Food Services o Taylor Wheeling Food Services o Becky Story, Summer Food Services o Carol Sowers, Summer Food Services o Lori Foley, Summer Food Services o Lisa Walters, Summer Food Services o Lacey Crone, CES 2nd Shift Custodian o Chase Allen, CH/MS 2nd Shift Custodian o Brooke Ahrens, CMS Math Instructor (Transfer from Instructional Aide) o Ollie Pettit, Grant Based Learning Loss Instruction (2021 – 2022 School Year – Transfer from Instructional Aide) o Randy White, Girls Golf Coach o Nancy Rahn, Volunteer Assistant Girls Golf Coach o Zach Messick, Assistant Coach Girls Soccer o Brad Lewsader, Volunteer Coach Girls Soccer o Dawn Krepton, Volunteer Coach Girls Soccer o Todd Hegg, Volunteer Coach Girls Soccer o Greg Flint, Volunteer Coach Boys Soccer o Ollie Pettit, Volunteer Coach Boys Soccer o Jen Sutherlin, Varsity Volleyball Coach o Alison Brown, Junior Varsity Volleyball Coach o Courtney Reinken, Freshman Volleyball Coach o Aliah Larsen, 8th Grade Volleyball Coach o Brooke Ahrens, 7th Grade Volleyball Coach o Jennifer Wright, Volunteer Middle School Volleyball Coacho Terry Field, Boys Tennis Coach o Mason Poer, Assistant Boys Tennis Coach o Luke Taylor, Volunteer Assistant Boys Tennis Coach o Jim Persinger, Volunteer Assistant Boys Tennis Coach o Rachel Cotton, Volunteer Assistant Boys Tennis Coach o Troy Bever, Assistant Football Coach o Scott Myers, Assistant Football Coach o John Karrfalt Assistant Football Coach o Andy Moore, Assistant Middle School Football Coach o Dottie Pettit, Cheerleading Coach o Mariah Kagels, Volunteer Assistant Cheerleading Coach o Kyle Cates, Volunteer Assistant Cheerleading Coach o Erin Gerling, Dance Team Coach o Kamryn Gerling, Volunteer Assistant Dance Team Coach
• Accepted the following resignations: o Trent McCormick, Athletic Director o Travis Brown, Boys Golf Coach o Angie Springer, Girls Golf Coach
• Received an update from Randy Grubbs regarding the status of the athletic complex rest room project.
• Approved the proposed building level handbooks for the 2021 – 2022 school year.
• Thanked Mike Howard and the custodial/maintenance team for their efforts during the summer.
• Approved the TAG (Teacher Appreciation Grant) policy for the 2021 – 2022 school year. o No changes were made from the previous year.
• Approved the teacher evaluation model for the 2021 – 2022 school year. o No changes were made from the previous year.
• Approved the 2021 – 2022 school year bus driver listing, as recommended by Mike Howard.
• Approved the addition of a new line item to the bus driver pay scale.
• Accepted a recommendation from food services supervisor Becky Story to reject two proposals received from third – party food services providers.
• Accepted a recommendation from Mike Howard to reject a proposal from a contract cleaning service.
• Approved the back to school plan, which has been posted on the school corporation website for reference, as presented.
• Approved the superintendent to proceed as deemed appropriate in order to fill any openings that may occur before the start of the school year on August 12, 2021.
• Learned that NCHS has approved funding for year 3 of the SEL grant awarded to CCSC during the 2019 – 2020 school year.
Thank you for your support of our children and of the Covington School – Community.