Position Title: School Resource Officer
Location: Covington High School/Covington Elementary School
Effective Date: 2022 – 2023 School Year
Application Deadline: July 12, 2022
Work Days: 185
Direct Report To: School administration of assigned building
- Must be 21 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license
- Certification: Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) Certified – TIER 1: Basic Class Certified preferred. National Association of School Resource Officers 40-hr Basic Certification preferred. If certifications are not held, must obtain within 1 year of employment. Must maintain all requirements set forth by ILEA Training Board for continued patrol certification. Must meet annual state mandated training by ILEA.
- Must have good health and be able to pass an initial physical fitness assessment (ILEA entrance standards) and a subsequent yearly physical assessment.
- Experience working within a K-12 school environment preferred.
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive background investigation.
- Must be willing to carry a firearm and maintain proficiency to pass annual qualifications and training evolutions.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain CPR and AED certification.
- Must have corrected hearing and vision to normal range.
- Must be able to move or lift items weighing up to 50 pounds.
This position will be exposed to job hazards and working conditions associated with police work. Position requires maintaining emotional control under stress, exposure to adverse and hazardous working conditions, working inside and outside (moderate exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather), frequent district-wide travel, prolonged work days, and the ability to be on call and willingness to work extra-duty details.