To: Students, Parents, Staff, and School – Community Members; Media Fr: Kevin Smith, Superintendent Re: December School Board Meeting Information
During their monthly meeting, December 9, 2019, the Covington Community School Corporation Board – of – Trustees approved the addition of girls soccer to the extra – curricular roster for Covington High School Students. The approval followed presentations on a proposal brought to the corporation leadership team nearly eight months earlier by a group of interested school – community members.
“The school – community group did a professional job of conducting a due diligence, providing information to support their proposal,” commented CCSC superintendent Kevin Smith. “With this, the board believed that now was the time to provide an opportunity to the girls for their own program.”
In other business the board approved school operating calendars for the 2020 – 2021 and 2021 – 2022 school years.
The board also heard information and / or conducted business on the following items during the meeting:
• Approved the hiring of
o Tyler Scott, Special Education Instructor
o Kathy Clifford, Speech/Language Maternity Leave Substitute
o Bradley Kent, Volunteer Assistant Wrestling Coach
o 2020 Varsity Athletic Coaches for
Boys Soccer – Ryan Sowers
Boys Tennis – Terry Field
Volleyball – Jennifer Sutherlin
Girls Golf – Mike Thompson
• Approved a “Volunteer Criminal Background Check Policy”.
• Approved an out – of – state field trip for the criminal justice class.
• Approved the monthly funds transfer from the education to operations fund, as allowed by Indiana code.
• Accepted the recommendation of Ms. Beck to enroll an out – of – district student at the elementary school.
• Learned that the 2020 facility improvement project has drawn interest from four general contractors and five sub – contractors.
o Bids are due on December 17, 2019.
• Approved salary increases for non – certified personnel.
• Approved a recommendation to provide a stipend for building administrators.
• Approved a resolution to proceed with the purchase of the Covington city building, located on second street, on behalf of the Wabash River Special Services Cooperative. The purchase is contingent on the approval of the school boards of the member schools, with each of the seven corporations owning an equal share of the facility.
• Learned that the corporations risk insurance rates will increase by 16.3% in 2020.
• Heard that the new district office construction project continues to move forward and is on schedule for a late winter completion date.
• Learned that a new visitor management system (Identakid) has been selected for installation at each of the three corporation schools.
• Provided their appreciation to the daughters of Leonard Orr for their generous donation of $1,500, to be used to assist with the launch of an after – school STEM Club at the elementary school, as well as the creation of a staff professional development library.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the board of trustees is Monday, January 13, 2020. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Thank you for your support of our children and of the Covington School – Community.