To: Staff, Students, Parents, School – Community Members Fr: Kevin Smith, Superintendent Su: Latest on CCSC Operational Plans
The last week plus has been difficult for many individuals in our community. Children, parents, grandparents, friends, and neighbors have been faced with the growing impact of the COVID-19 virus. Due to this, our school corporation moved to e – learning on October 7 and while I agree that this is not a long term solution that we want for our children’s education, the impact to the health, safety, and quality of education made the decision the right one to make. Unfortunately, the spread of COVID-19 has continued to expand, with no immediate end in sight.
As of the morning of October 13, Covington Community School Corporation had experienced 11 positive cases involving staff members and 11 positive cases involving students. This impact has created the need for the quarantining of additional individuals – students and staff.
With the growth in positive cases has come the need for decisions to be made, many of which are ones that an educator takes no joy in having to make. The goal for every educator is to provide opportunities for children. Unfortunately, when decisions are being made in their best overall interest, it is possible, for the opposite to occur. From the bottom of my heart, I regret the decisions we have in front of us may cause our children to lose out on short term opportunities. Yet, I remain steadfast in that through adversity, we are presented with our greatest growth and development opportunities.
On Monday, October 12, I was informed by the Fountain/Warren County Health Department, expectations were that Fountain County would move to “Red” status when the next round of the state metric dashboard is updated on October 14. In conjunction with this, and in accordance with guidance from the state department of health and our legal counsel, further operational changes have been recommended and are being initiated.
With the above in mind, all extra – curricular activities have been suspended until a plan to safely and effectively return to in – person instruction is identified. Over the next several days, I will be working with the school corporation team, and the county health department in order to gather information to identify a return to school plan (date). Further, the volleyball sectional scheduled to be played in Covington has been moved to North Vermillion.
In order to assist with our return to school decision making process, I encourage and ask everyone currently quarantined to please remain in contact with our school nurse if symptoms develop and / or worsen. I appreciate the cooperation we have experienced from those impacted since launching our email@example.com contact resource. This information is critical to ensure effective planning for a return.