To: Staff, Parents, and Students Fr: Kevin Smith Su: Middle School Trip
On Wednesday evening, Washington, D. C. Mayor Muriel Bowser
declared a state of emergency for the city, due to the growing number of health
cases related to the coronavirus. With this in mind, the 8th grade trip
scheduled to depart this evening, Thursday, March 12, 2020, has been postponed
This decision has been made with the safety and health of
your child, our children, in our mind and our hearts. There is no greater
gift on this earth than our children and we will never knowingly place this
“gift” at risk.
With the postponement, we will continue to monitor the
situation currently occurring in our country over the coming days and
weeks. Efforts will be made to identify
a timeframe around which the trip may be rescheduled, however, with all of the
unknowns that exist today in our country and world there is no guarantee this
can be accomplished.
If a decision is made to permanently cancel the trip every
effort will be made to recoup the financial commitments, wherever possible, our
families made to provide their child this opportunity.
I am deeply sorry that this decision has become
necessary and please know that it was made with much consideration towards
ensuring the health and safety of the children. I want to
acknowledge Mr. Corey Smaltz for his tireless commitment to serve our
children and school – community. He put in countless hours in preparing
for a memorable experience for the children.
I apologize for the inconvenience this will cause for many
and ask for your understanding and patience.
The CCSC leadership team will continue to work to keep you
informed as we move forward in the coming days and weeks.