To: Students, Parents, Staff, and School – Community Members; Media Fr: Kevin Smith, Superintendent Re: January 2021 School Board Meeting Information
The Covington Community School Corporation School Board met for their monthly meeting on Monday, January 11, 2021. The meeting was conducted in alignment with social distancing guidelines.
At the annual organizational meeting Mr. Doug Hunter was selected to serve as board president for Mr. Jason Beck was selected as board vice – president and Mr. Kevin Cates as board secretary.
In other organizational business, the board approved Ms. Vicki Jones as school corporation treasurer and Ms. Jennifer Linville as extra– curricular treasurer. The law firm of Henthorn, Harris, and Weliever was approved to continue as legal counsel for Covington Community School Corporation.
During the business portion of the agenda the board:
• During the finance committee agenda
o Selected Mr. Doug Hunter as president of the finance board.
o Selected Mr. Kevin Cates as secretary of the finance board.
o Reviewed the investment policy.
o Received its’ annual financial analysis.
o Was informed that no new investments had been made during 2020.
• Agreed to maintain the current level of board compensation for 2021 – $1,000 annually.
• Received an update on the start of the second semester from elementary school principal Ms. Michelle Beck.
• Approved the following hires:
o Brooke Ahrens, CMS Instructional Aide
o Cathy Busik, CHS Interim English Instructor
o Cindie Holliday, Interim SEL Coordinator
o Susan Smaltz, CHS Pep Club Co – Sponsor
o Trevor Dickerson, CHS Pep Club Co – Sponsor
o Steve Pierce, Assistant Baseball Coach
o Bradley Slider, Volunteer Junior Varsity Baseball Coach
o Matt Gerling, Volunteer Assistant Baseball Coach
o Luke Taylor, Volunteer Assistant Baseball Coach
o Meghan Hall, Junior Varsity Softball Coach
o Aliah Larsen, Volunteer Assistant Softball Coach
o Keddy Sowers, Volunteer Assistant Softball Coach
o Judy Hegg, Volunteer Assistant Softball Coach
o Jamie Hughes, WRSSC Blind and Low Vision Teacher (.2 Role)
• Learned that the analysis and negotiations for the award of transportation contracts has entered final stages.
• Approved a resolution for the continued monthly transfer of funds from the Education to Operations Fund, maintaining the same level as in 2020.
• Approved a recommendation from the school corporation calendar committee in adopting the 2022 – 2023 school calendar.
o The calendar follows the same format as in use in 2020 – 2021 and that which has been adopted for 2021 – 2022.
• Approved Ms. Beck’s recommendation to accept two out – of – district students.
• Authorized the acceptance of a $5,000 donation from the Western Indiana Community Foundation for the use of Covington Elementary School in providing for needs of students.
o Board President Doug Hunter expressed appreciation, on behalf of the board and the school corporation, to Mr. Dale White and the foundation for their continued support of the community’s children.
• Reviewed its’ intent to conduct a working session board meeting, in the near future, with a focus on providing a collaborative opportunity for stakeholders of the school corporation to participate in identifying go – forward opportunities for improvement.
• Received public comment on the meeting format, the school corporation property and casualty insurance process, and the identification of the school corporation legal counsel.
The next scheduled meeting of the board of trustees is set for Monday, February 8, 2021. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. Thank you for your support of our children and of the Covington School – Community.