To: Media Members of the Covington Community School Corporation
Fr: Kevin Smith, Superintendent
Re: CCSC Moving Forward with LED Lighting Projects
During a regular session school board meeting Monday, October 8, 2018, the Covington Community School Corporation board approved a recommendation to move forward with two energy savings projects that involve the installation of LED Lights in the high school, middle school, and elementary school. The school board awarded both projects to Energy Harness, the low bidder for each project. The installation of LED Lights is set to begin by the first of November.
Representatives of Covington High School’s Girls cross country team were recognized by the board for earning a spot in the IHSAA Regional by placing fifth (5th) in the Benton Central Sectional. It is believed to be the first time a CHS team has advanced to the next phase of the state tournament. The board also recognized the work the team members are doing in the classroom, with a combined team Grade Point Average of 3.77.
Coach Dave Allen introduced the team members and discussed their performance at sectional. Members of the regional qualifying team include:
Sophomore runner Blake Bova was recognized by members of the CCSC school board for qualifying for the Regional meet as an individual. Blake’s time of 19:48 earned him a 14th place finish during sectional.
During the October meeting the school board received a report out on the 2018 Spring ISTEP+ results for the school corporation. The state of Indiana recently released test scores following the review of testing issues that were uncovered during the scoring of results across the state. The pass rates for Covington schools were:
Covington High School – English – 66.7%; Math 34.8%
Covington Middle School – English – 72.2%; Math 67.5%
Covington Elementary School – English – 71.7%; Math – 69.2%
“In comparison, the pass rates for Covington students were competitive with that of students in other school corporations,” commented superintendent Kevin Smith. “While our results were below the targeted level, we are pleased with the progress our students and instructors are making overall. The instructional team is focused on the educational growth of every child and the lateness in which this information has been received is not a hindrance to the rigorous work being done within the school building. Opportunities for improvement exist and I have confidence in our instructional staff to continue to move our children forward.”
Superintendent Smith recognized the work of retiring Athletic Director Randy Tolley during the meeting.
“Mr. Tolley has embodied what truly loving and caring for the children of Covington is all about.” Smith said. “ His 35 years of educational service have made a positive and lasting impact on hundreds, if not thousands of individuals. On behalf of the board and the community of Covington I would like to wish Mr. Tolley the very best as he steps into this next phase of life.”
In other business the Covington Community School Board received information and / or approved the following:
• Heard an analysis of the Covington High School Fine Arts curriculum, as provided by Principal Phil Cunningham.
• Received an update from Music Director Nick Calcamuggio on the fall performances of the high school band and choir.
The board expressed their appreciation for the work Mr. Calcamuggio is doing to develop and grow the music program.
• Received an update from Music Director Nick Calcamuggio on the status of the fund raiser being conducted in order to raise money to purchase new band uniforms.
• Approved the following personnel recommendations:
– Resignation of second shift custodian Diane Allen
– Maternity leave request of Ashlie Grissom
– Retirement of Jean Allen
• The assigning of a $700 extra – curricular salary for the hiring of an assistant boys golf coach for the 2019 season.
• Approved a second grade field trip request to Staerkel Planetarium, Champaign, Illinois.
• Received an update on the new district office project.
– The River Group is in the process of finalizing design plans to allow the project to move forward.
• Conducted first reading for three corporation policies, as well as a Transportation Handbook and the 2018 – 2019 Teacher Evaluation Manual.
• Received an update on the selection of a corporation depository partner.
– Four proposals have been received and are under review, with a recommendation targeted for the November 2018 meeting.
• Provided permission for Superintendent Kevin Smith to move forward with a new facility study.
• Received information on the end of the first academic quarter – October 12, 2018.
• Accepted an award from the Relay For Life of Illiana.
• Heard the next scheduled evening for Superintendent Open Office Hours is set for Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
The next scheduled meeting of the board of trustees is Monday, November 12, 2018.
Thank you for your coverage of Covington Community School Corporation.
Kevin R. Smith
Covington Community School Corporation
601 Market Street
Covington, IN. 47932